Sunday, October 24, 2010

Volunteering as a Reading Tutor

                At my public library, I volunteered over the summer as a reading tutor. 
My basic job was to:
·         Teach children how to form sentences
·         Listen to children read
·         Read to children
While I volunteered here, it was so inspiring to see the improvements of children as the day progressed.  At first, the little girl I was helping learn how to perfect her reading skills was quite frustrated; as I would be, too.  I noticed that after about 15 to 20 minutes, she began to gradually catch on. Although the book was not a difficult book, she still was making drastic improvements.  The little girl was only around 6 years old, and the book she was reading appeared to be very difficult to overcome, for her. 
                As we were reading this book, she became a little hesitant because it would take her quite a bit of time to sound out certain words, and to say the sentences fluently, with confidence.  I would simply tell her to try her best, and before she knew it, it would appear easier and easier to her.  And I was right. 
                By the end of our hour session, she was reading the book more fluently than before, and her sentences became more and more structured.  She was so proud to see her improvements, and her capability of success within herself.  She knew that she overcame a very difficult task within herself, and she was so proud of herself.  It made me feel really good to know that I had the ability to help make her succeed at something.
                At the end of the day, she ran to her mom, and was so excited that she was able to read a book that she wasn’t able to read, well, an hour prior.  Although she could not read the book perfectly, it was a significant improvement than before.  Working to help her improve her literary skills, and to potentially succeed significantly in school was very rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment